RECIPE FOR FAKE BLOOD USED IN THE EVIL DEAD

This entry was posted in Miscellany and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

10 Comments

1. Jos
    Posted August 11, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Hi Simon,

I found your recipe very interesting. However, I live in the Netherlands and they don’t sell Karo syrup here. I googled Karo syrup and could not find Karo clear syrup, only Karo light.

Is this the correct syrup? With this I might be able to find similar products that are sold here.

Thanks again for the recipe.

Jos

2. Posted August 11, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

I’m wondering if perhaps Bruce Campbell may have mis-remembered the recipe. I’ve made my fair share of fake blood, and I have to say – 3 pints of red food coloring would be a LOT – especially considering the quantities of the other ingredients.

I don’t even know where’d you’d go to buy that much red food coloring, but 3 pints would be enough for about ten gallons of blood…

3. Posted August 11, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

Sounds suspiciously like Tom Savini’s blood formula from back in the ’70-80′s, only Tom used Zinc oxide. Zinc’s a LOT cheaper than creamer and you only need a teaspoon.

4. Simon
    Posted August 12, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

This is the recipe as Bruce describes it in his book. But yeah, 3 pints of food colouring seems a hell of a lot, considering I’ve only ever seen it in those tiny bottles!

Hi Jos, Karo is a popular American brand of corn syrup, I’ve not seen it here in UK either. But I would assume that Karo light is the same as Karo clear. It’s just to distinguish it from the dark variety.

5. Paul
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 4:47 am | Permalink

Groovie!

6. Posted December 6, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

We did this recipe, but used milk instead. Check out our video: How to Make EVIL DEAD Fake Blood and See It Splatter EVERYWHERE!!!

7. Posted December 17, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

looks really good

8. ben
    Posted December 18, 2010 at 9:26 am | Permalink

You could use any type of clear corn syrup. Karo is a name brand sold in the states. Mostly in the south. I have a recipe of my own that is rather good and nearly the consistency of actual blood in both color and viscosity with a coagulation effect.

Here it is:
    A half gallon of water (use more water to get the right thickness, if needed)

three 14 to 16 ounce jars or bottles of clear corn syrup
    (or what ever you can find/buy more if you feel that it wont be thick enough) I always grab an extra couple of bottles or a gallon just in case.

you need packages/bottles of natural red food grade dye, some yellow and green dye, and a quarter cup of talcum power.

Mix the red first and add the talcum powder (don’t add the other dye right away). Then blend what you have all together with a hand mixture or by hand.
    I use a hand drill with a paint stirrer attachment.

After you have mixed it thoroughly ( no powder should show add the yellow and green a little a time until you reach the right shade you are looking for.

A little Dark blue dye will make the blood look old and a little more syrup will make it ooze. More yellow and green and you can make some really nice zombie blood. The talcum powder mimics coagulation as it dries.

9. Matt
    Posted February 9, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Jos: Clear Karo is simply corn syrup. (Although Karo also has molasses which also tends to be referred to simply by “Karo”) Assuming the viscosity of corn syrup is fairly uniform from brand to brand, you can substitute any you can get ahold of. May be expensive, though. Remember that corn is our largest crop here in the new world so it’s in pretty much everything and is dirt cheap.

10. Dee
    Posted February 28, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

For the friends in the UK, Karo is a name brand corn syrup in the US. In the UK it would be called golden syrup and I believe Lyle’s is a name brand. There are several online sites that sell large sizes of food coloring. If you’re making a home movie and need lots & lots of blood, it’s cheaper in bulk. Here is one. http://www.escofoods.com/food_color.html?gclid=CMXu4LfRq6cCFcbc4AodlSxTCg