TOP TEN MOST POPULAR FILMS OF ALL TIME BY NUMBER OF TICKETS SOLD IN THE U.S.

This entry was posted in Miscellany and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

9 Comments

1. Amy Witzke
    Posted June 10, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

I have paid to see six of the ten in a movie theater. And at least five of all those tickets sold for Star Wars were for me!

2. simon
    Posted June 11, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

The British version of the list contains about five of these films, and other older not so famous ones. It’s quite eye opening. I guess people just don’t go to the cinema as much as they used to!

3. Posted July 4, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Love your site! Very cool indeed – an the black and white vibe. My favorite in this list is ET but all of them are good…as the ticket statistics show. Although, I don’t always watch the most popular movies…I love all kinds, famous or otherwise. Thanks!

• Simon
      Posted July 14, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Thanks Katherine. Appreciate your comments

4. xkopp
    Posted July 15, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

Cool site indeed. Keep up the good work!

Not many comments yet, but you’ve been noticed by Cracked. Expect a lot of Crackers to rain in now. I claim to be the first!!! FIRST!

5. ken
    Posted July 24, 2011 at 9:42 am | Permalink

harrypotter deathly hallows part 2 should get there

• Moony
      Posted July 25, 2011 at 1:02 am | Permalink

Although Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 have shattered many records over it’s first week, including some ticket sale records. It will probably never touch this list. The first Harry Potter movie would only rank at about 63… I think that is what I read elsewhere; and it has been the best seller of that series to date. Deathly Hallows has a decent shot of becoming number 1 for that series though.

These might help

• Simon
        Posted July 25, 2011 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Exactly right. This is about number of tickets sold, not amount of money made. The prices of cinema tickets have risen a lot (plus the extras you pay for 3D, IMAX etc), this is the reason that highest grossing film lists are almost entirely made up of recent blockbusters. But in terms of actual number of tickets sold, modern films are way behind. People just do not go to the cinema like they used to.

6. Nik
    Posted July 20, 2013 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Let’s see: I’ve seen Star Wars (1997), E.T. (2002), Titanic (1997) and Snow White (1993). Wish I would’ve saw Exorcist when it was rereleased, but I was too young to go on my own at the time and neither of my parents cared to see it.

One Trackback

1. By montyedits on July 4, 2011 at 5:22 am

[...] TOP TEN MOST POPULAR FILMS OF ALL TIME BY NUMBER OF TICKETS SOLD IN THE U.S. By Simon | Published: June 8, 2011 [...]